Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Upcycling my Idea Graveyard into a Sandbox

I enjoy working in the financial industry, I genuinely do.  Plus, I am lucky in that my job allows me some access to play in the creative playground and roll down pithy hills and swing on alliterative branches- all within the clear line of sight of content reviewers and regulators of course.  

Today, I received an email from our agency partner with 4-5 subject line suggestions for an upcoming recruitment email.  This was followed by an email from our account director hinting at the suggestions that she refrained from sending through sheer self control.  Yes, we would have passed on those suggestions but it got me thinking about the content that I inevitably throw into the trash chute, even though it is often the garbage that gets me to the final draft.

I used to think of it as a content graveyard, a dark place where ideas were buried, never visited or remembered beyond a hasty burial.  Frankly, I really like some of these ideas, some are bombs and some are the product of way, way, way too much caffeine and not enough laps around the office.  To fart on someone's creativity, writing, brainstorms or ideas is what breeds self-conscious, desperate girlfriend behavior and manifests in bouts of impervious writer's block and alcoholism (see: Hemingway or my old boss).  That said...

Welcome to my sandbox, where the dummies, loners, weirdos and sluts of my ideas can play in the sand (this is not a progressive sandbox with those redwood chips or foam blocks instead of sand and cat turds).  They are not equal, some got here through old fashioned spit-balling with glitter pens while others rode in on the substance abuse express, scribbled in lip liner on a napkin.  But, what they all have in common is they were rejected by my superiors but now shared by me. All specific identifiers have been removed.

Post titles and subject line suggestions:

Are XX Investments the Beanie Babies of the Investment World?
Portfolio Yoga: Downward Dollar-Cost Averaging
You Advised the $%&! Out of Us!
All's Quiet on the Sequester Front

On home country bias:
Agoraphobic Investment Portfolios (on Home Country Bias)
The Emotional Hindrance of Ethnocentric Investing

All the Single Countries (I included instructions for the reviewer that read, "Note, this sounds best in Beyonce's voice")




No comments:

Post a Comment